Tommy, telecasters and Bartolini pickups

Stuff related to Tommy, his music, your music - you get the idea

Tommy, telecasters and Bartolini pickups

Postby johndelany » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but a long-time Tommy fan. I'm based in Adelaide, South Australia and first saw him on The Journey tour, in 93.

My question is about TE's old tele pickups, if anyone may be able to shed some light on the subject? I bought my first tele last year, an AM deluxe, and would like to install a set of 3 Bartolinis, like TE used. I've been in touch with Aus distributor (Rick Miruzzi, who was involved with TE's guitars), and was told that he used the 3X single coil series, which are still available.

These are strat pickups, yet TE seems to have a slightly larger Tele version in the bridge. I've examined the close-ups of his guitars from the Guitar Talk DVD, and it definitely looks like 2 strat-sized Barts, with a full-sized "tele" bridge version... yet information about such a pickup is not available on the Bartolini website... I found it a little difficult to get specific information from Rick, so would anyone happen to know how TE achieved this? I've attached a couple of stills from the video.

Sorry for my rather convoluted first post, any comments appreciated :-)

John.

johndelany

Re: Tommy, telecasters and Bartolini pickups

Postby leonidn07 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:30 am

Can't really help you out... :roll:

Cool stills though, I need to get that guitar talk DVD one day :geek:
leonidn07

Postby euphemistic » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:18 pm

leonidn07 wrote:I need to get that guitar talk DVD one day :geek:

I know what you mean. I tell myself this every week, but still havn't got round to buying it!!! :lol:
euphemistic

Postby wilko » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi John,
Hawkeye posted the exact pick-up info on Tommy's tele not so long ago but I have a feeling that it was one of the last posts before the old forum site was closed down thanks to hacker problems.
Hawkeye is quite often on here and will probably spot your post to give you the low down. If not, you can send him a PM (you just need to find one of his posts, click on his name and it will give you the option to send him a Private Message). From memory, I thought that it was still a tele pick-up at the bridge, the additional strat pick-up in the centre and a strat 5 way switch but as I said, Hawkeye is the man to talk to on this one.

Cheers,
Wilko
wilko

Postby El Tib » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:06 pm

leonidn07 wrote:Can't really help you out... :roll:

Cool stills though, I need to get that guitar talk DVD one day :geek:

I need to get that GUITAR one day!
El Tib

Postby johndelany » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks for the responses - Wilko, I'll contact Hawkeye as you suggested, cheers for the info.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Guitar Talk DVD, it is well worth it, just to see TE tear it up on his Tele, as well as the brief duo with James Morrison. I too would like his guitar, but the next best thing is mimicking it, hence my pickups question!

Cheers,
JD
johndelany

Postby hawkeye » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:03 am

Hi there,

A guitar player mate of TE's by the name of Brett Wood here in Australia picked up a set of Bartolini pick-ups just like the ones in TE's Telecaster from eBay. As far as I am aware they are Stratocaster style pick-ups. Bartolini have not made them for quit awhile.

seeya
Hawkeye
:)
Last edited by hawkeye on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawkeye

Postby johndelany » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:30 am

That's interesting, I remember seeing Brett in one of Tommy's last "electric" tours in 97... I think he played a red strat at the time (how do I remember these things). Great player.

According to the Bartolini website, the passive 3x series are still available ( http://www.bartolini.net/price_list_quick.htm )... and they can be sourced from the US, as I've contacted the Perfect Guitar in LA, who have them in stock. Basically, I would purchase them, I was just wondering what this mysterious bridge pup is that TE used (seeing as Bartolini don't make a tele bridge that I'm aware of)... unless it was a strat one, and made to fit somehow? If I run out of luck, then I realise there are plenty of decent after-market pickups available - just nice to have the consistency I guess.
johndelany

Postby hawkeye » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:52 am

Hi there,

The guitar player you would have seen on that tour was Simon Hosford, he was playing a red Fender Strat back then. At the moment Brett Wood can be seen playing in Pete Murray's band as well as his own projects. Brett stands out because he's a left hander. Simon now plays guitar for The Colin Hay Band (also played in Men at Work), Vanessa Amorosi, Birtles, Shorrock, Gobles (Little River Band) and is currently touring with John Stevens (Noiseworks). Simon and Brett often fill in for one another on various gigs. Both these guys play Maton acoustics. Brett has a really good sounding EBG808TE and TE-1. Brett is the best person to talk to about TE's tunes, he knows TE's style of playing. Even TE tells people to contact Woody, he knows how I do it.

seeya
Hawkeye
:)

*** Just spoke to Brett Wood and asked him about his pick-ups, he said his are Bartolini 3XV pick-ups and are the same as TE's.
hawkeye

Postby johndelany » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:41 pm

Ah ok, that clarifies a few things for me then - thanks :-)

I had a look for some 3XVs online, but as you've mentioned, those ones are not available new anymore. Cheers finding out that info, JD.
johndelany

Next

Return to Talk about Tommy