Martin FX strings

What guitar(s) do you play? Strings? Amps? Setup?

Martin FX strings

Postby Fingerpickin'Pete » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:25 pm

What does anyone think of Martin FX strings? Do they cause tuning problems because of the lower tension? I've heard that they're good for fingerstyle players and was thinking of getting some. Also, what's the actual difference between phosphor bronze and 80/20 bronze in tone?
Fingerpickin'Pete

Re: Martin FX strings

Postby Saendar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:15 pm

I love FX's and tuning is pretty normal I found. The new packs are going to have Tommy's picture on it! FX's were designed according to his preferences to they must be good for fingerstyle :)
Saendar

Postby minor9 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:10 am

I mostly use FX, the sound and feel is great!

The sparkly and fresh "newly-stringed" tone goes away pretty quick though, but this is normal for most brands of strings I would think.
I also tend to get sweaty hands, and always forget to wipe the strings clean afterwards, so that's probably a factor for string endurance.

Although I really like the FX's, suggestions for other strings would be greatly appreciated!
minor9

Postby Fingerpickin'Pete » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:58 am

Thanks for the info. I didn't know Tommy helped design them - I probably will get some in that case :P !
Fingerpickin'Pete

Postby mombasstic » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:24 am

i find fx strings too noisy and rough... i guess i'm too used to coated strings.
mombasstic

Postby Fingerpickin'Pete » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:09 am

mombasstic wrote:
> i find fx strings too noisy and rough... i guess i'm too used to coated strings.

Do coated strings reduce the squeaking noise when you slide notes? What ones would you reccomend?
Fingerpickin'Pete

Postby mombasstic » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:46 am

elixir nanowebs are what i like to use
mombasstic

Postby Stevie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:54 am

To bust this mystery I recently bought 5 different brands of strings for my 808 TE, all 12's gauge to find out which work the best and last the longest. I didn't try elixir though!
I came to the result that GHS strings (8 EUR) and Martin Eric Clapton Choice (4 EUR) fit my playing and my guitar very well. GHS lasted longer and had a nice feeling from the start, in fact they lasted very long :) The Martin EC Choice sound really good on my guitar but tend to lose clarity after a week of daily playing, but anyway; they're cheap and sounded softer from the start (preferred!) as all the other strings I tried.

The other 2 brands weren't bad at all but they were all above 4 EUR and didn't make it for the price. In the end, I can recommend to buy several brands and try them out, it's the best way to know. Hope this helps!
Stevie

Postby Saendar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Stevie, what were the 5 brands?

In terms of coated vs. uncoated, I think you'll find that the former will be brighter with a shorter life, and vice versa for the latter. Some prefer a mellow tone, some prefer not to change their strings every few days. To me, Elixirs sound dull and they feel strange. D'Addarios have a very smooth touch and sound great, very close to the Martin FX or SPs. My hands don't sweat at all, so I have the luxury of being able to use the same strings for months and they still sound great. The first couple of days they'll zing like new, then stay consistently bright.

If you want to have brightness with longer life, try Cleartone strings - they are the only coated strings I've tried that feel good to play. Martin also have a type of string that uses the Cleartone coat (not sure what it's called)...I haven't tried them but I'd bet they'd be good.
Saendar

Postby Stevie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:47 am

Hey Saendar,
I just saw I just tried 4 brands, not 5 :shock:

GHS S325 PHOSPHOR BRONZE LIGHT
ERNIE BALL EB2146 REGULAR SLINKY ACOUSTIC
DADDARIO EJ11
MARTIN GUITARS MEC-12

As I said I'm gonna stick to the Martin Clapton's choice for a while now I think :)
Stevie

Return to Hardware and guitars